Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Showing off my new table


I am absolutely in LOVE with my new table. It is sturdy, and big, and beautiful...and we made it ourselves!



Close up of the top finished before it was attached to the legs...


It was first inspired by this table from Knock-off wood, but then we looked at a ton of pictures of farmhouse tables as well as watching a few videos on how to build them and looking under a bunch of other tables to see how they were constructed. I have a feeling a couple friends thought I was a bit insane when I asked to look under their tables...but it was totally worth it to learn what options there were for putting the whole thing together.

We wanted it to be very hefty looking. So the original plan was to use 2x8 planks for the top, and 4x4 posts for the legs. When we got to the store to buy the lumber, all the 2x8s were rather twisty...so we looked at the 2x10s and they looked lovely, so we went with those. Also, the 4x4s were not very pretty, so we switched to 4x6s.

We made a couple mistakes in the construction...Nothing that should cause major issues probably...but we learned a ton and if/when we build one again, we won't make those mistakes :) The legs are a little too close to get 3 chairs comfortably between them, but I really like the overhang on the end. I may make benches to get around that issue.

For the finish, I started with minwax wood conditioner, and then minwax water based stain in "toffee" and brushed on polycrylic in satin(3 light coats). I must say, I really liked the water based stain. Instead of spreading on a layer then wiping it off, I kind of buffed it into the wood. I felt like I had a lot of control over the depth of color that way, and it was easy to even out places that got a little blotchy. They also had a HUGE selection of colors. I would for sure use this stuff again.

The only major issue (other then the chairs not fitting) is that the wood is just so very soft. I can't let my kids do their homework on it w/o making them use a clipboard or something under it. I'm pretty sure that as it get's roughed up from use, this won't be as big of a deal, but right now with the finish so smooth and new, it bugs me a little. Next time, I think we'll use and work with a harder wood. Of course, I was reading somewhere that acrylic paint can take up to a month to fully set, so I'm wondering if polycrylic is the same way and it will be somewhat harder in a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted on that :)

Linking up to...

giveawaysFurniture Feature FridaysVisit thecsiproject.com

3 comments:

  1. It looks brilliant! I love the table. You've inspired me to try my own one day instead of buying one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!! Great job and welcome to blogland!
    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you guys did a wonderful job! I love the idea of making a table. It's so hard to find one that is the right size for a space.

    Thanks so much for linking up to The CSI Project's hardware Store Challenge! We hope you will come back next week for the Martha Stewart-inspired challenge -- The MS Craft Department are our guest judges!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete